Thursday, August 5, 2010

Open Architecture

I think a topic I touched on in one of my previous posts deserves some more attention; the architecture in Mauritius, like the architecture in Aruba, is very open (or maybe porous is a better word).

Take for example the windows in my bungalow. They are pretty much just large, square holes in the wall with shutters on both sides of the wall for when you want to "close" them. There is no screen on them. So really, there isn't much between me and the outdoors. I can hear the palm trees rustling in the wind at night. Usually this is pleasant unless it is really windy. I can also hear the dogs in the houses across the street whenever they bark at night. This is never pleasant.












Another example is the restaurant at my hotel. There is an open porch and the windows on the wall that separates the outside from inside are huge. There is no glass in them, only shutters for closing the windows at night. Geckos and bugs have no trouble passing from outdoors to indoors. The wind blows straight through the windows in the back of the building through to the front of the building all day.

Even when I'm indoors I only feel like I'm 75% indoors. It's kind of strange, but since the weather is so pleasant it's been easy to get used to.

2 comments:

  1. This is how I want my house!!! Take more pictures buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. T(irsun) -

    I pity the fool who doesn't check out my Mauritius photos on my dropbox site:

    http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3686035/1/Mauritius%20Pictures?h=579a2e

    (the better pics from this gallery have been posted to my facebook account)

    Also, I would recommend the open style of architecture, assuming you're OK with bugs and noise coming into your home.

    Talk to you soon, dude.

    - pat

    ReplyDelete