Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mauritius Food - 2

Continuing on about cheap Mauritian food:

Alouda is a cold, milk-based drink that has tapioca (similar to bubble tea) and a little bit of ice cream in it. When you order it at a stand in the market they serve it to you in a glass and expect you to drink it right then and there and return the glass. I wonder why they haven't started using disposable cups so people are able to take it to go. Anyway, a glass costs about $0.50 (15 Mauritian Rupees).


Next up are dhal puri and chana. Both are very simple foods. Dhal puri is a mixture of curries and chili served in a folded over flatbread. Chana is sort of a dough ball containing curries and chili. Both can be had from food stands throughout the island for a couple dollars. The picture on the left shows the inside of the dhal puri. The picture on the right shows the dhal puri folded over and the chana sitting next to it.

2 comments:

  1. With just the food and architecture alone, you're a very convincing travel agent. My next trip, which if the cost of living there remains the same, may likely be Maritius!

    I know you're on an island, but are there hills? Small mountains? Cacao beans?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cacao beans? I'm not sure. I don't think so. The main crop here is sugarcane. Mile after mile of sugarcane. Also, some tea. I haven't heard anything about cacao.

    Hills and small mountains? Heck yes. In fact, I think the mountains are a bigger selling point for the island than the beaches... I think I'll write a post about it.

    ReplyDelete