Monday, July 19, 2010

Buuuuuuuuugs!

One thing that has taken some getting used to around here in Mauritius is the prevalence of bugs.

Check this out. As far as insects go, a typical day for me in Mauritius goes as follows:


6:30 am - wake up and see about 7 ants crawling on the wall about 1 foot from my head.
6:35 am - go talk to cait on skype and get a mosquito bite or two
7:10 am - swat a bug or two off of my towel before taking a shower
7:45 am - eat breakfast with some ant crawling across the table
8:40 am - get to work. ants crawling on my desk... sometimes in my laptop (the nerve!).

And so on... you get the point; there are a lot of bugs around. Even as I write this post a couple bugs flew into the screen.

It's strange because even with all of the bugs there seems to be no appetite for things like screen doors or screens on windows. Relative to Mauritian buildings, buildings in the USA are seem like they're air tight and very sealed off from the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment